by SALIM AL AFIFI
If you’re on the lookout for a perfect postcard material to add to your list of picturesque places to visit, then Bimmah Sinkhole should occupy the very top of that list. Here are five fun facts you should know before visiting.
1. This beautiful sinkhole is believed to exist as a result of a meteorite that hit the ground (which explains the name, Hawyat Najm, translating as falling star), causing a deep hole in the ground, but that is just a legend; it was actually formed naturally due to underground water carving away the rocks and caving in the waters.
2. Visiting Bimmah Sinkhole has its perks; the spot is located nearby some of the most sought after tourist attractions and will truly add a spark of adventure to your itinerary. There’s the famous Wadi Shab, Tiwi and Wadi Al Arbeieen, to name a few.
3. Bimmah Sinkhole serves a unique natural phenomenon. It is connected to the ocean through a small underground tunnel, which results in having water that tastes fresh but salty at times.
4. Care for fish-administered pampering? Yes, the sinkhole is occupied by tiny fish that offer free pedicures for everyone. The massage provides a nibbling and ticklish sensation that will leave your feet dead-cells-free.
5. The sinkhole pool is about 20 metres deep, which makes it an exciting stop for diving aficionados. Floating in its emerald waters may sound tempting, but if you are novice swimmer, stay away from the deep end and stick to swimming at shallow waters.